Part of our internship program involves each intern writing a blog about a particular topic they’ve learned or discovered. For this one, Ashley Nolley, a Sport Marketing & Management major at Indiana University, has tackled the blog:
It seems like everyone and their brother has decided to get fit. It’s hard to scroll through your Facebook timeline without someone tagging themselves at the local Anytime Fitness.
We’ve all had those negative thoughts in our head when we see those types of posts—a constant reminder of what we aren’t doing, thinking to ourselves, “Why aren’t I doing that too?” and then realizing it’s because you hate running (inside and outside). And the Stair Master. And the Elliptical. And the Rowing Machine.
What does that leave you with? A bicycle.
A bicycle? You sit and ponder this for a minute because you haven’t tried biking since you were a kid. A bicycle isn’t as hard or stressful as running. It not as painful as the Stair Master. It allows you to sit down, unlike the Elliptical. And let’s face it—It’s just all around better than the rowing machine.
If you follow any celebrities on social media, you’ll see that a lot of them get fit through biking. They can’t pass up a good spin class at Soul Cycle. And once you’ve seen pictures of the Kardashians, Olivia Wilde, Katie Holmes, Jessica Alba, Victoria’s Secret Models, and yes, even David Beckham and Matthew McConaughey, you’ll be biking yourself to the nearest spin class.
So why choose biking? Here are our reasons why you should hop on a bike today:
- Biking one mile at 20mph burns approximately 150 calories, putting it right up there with running.
- It’s less stress on the shins, knees, ankles, and back.
- Biking is a legitimate form of transportation around town.
- It’s a quick and affordable way to explore you surroundings whether you’re new in town or on vacation.
- You can bike inside while watching some Netflix if it’s too hot, cold, rainy, or if you just don’t want to stop binge watching House of Cards.
- Biking can be done in a group or solo.
- All around, biking is just fun.